Snowshoeing in Raundalen - Wild VossAddress: 5706 Voss Date: Sunday 15 dec 2019 - Tuesday 21 Apr 2020 Show map
Address: 5706 Voss
Would you like to walk through a forest blanketed by deep snow? Or enjoy the stillness of free nature during its long winter sleep?
Our guided snowshoeing trip to Raundalen is a good way for you to get a real winter experience without the need of skis. This is a non-technical and family-friendly experience in the snow, surrounded by impressive, wild nature.
Raundalen is a secluded valley featuring wild and unspoilt mountain nature. The beautiful Raundalen River winds its way through narrow gorges and forested marshlands. Snowy mountains with steep hillsides frame the valley on both sides. Deer, elks and other wild animals can be spotted, if we are lucky. The railway line between Bergen and Oslo runs through this valley, allowing for practical and emission-free access.
During a typical day out, your guide will make sure you learn basic skills for safe travel in winter, introduce you to both nature and local culture and make sure you feel comfortable at all times.
At our lunch spot for the day, we build a bonfire together and enjoy something hot to drink and a bite to eat. Here’s an opportunity for you to learn what it takes to make a bonfire of your own. We use the heat of the flames to prepare our meal. If the weather is bad, we’ll join forces and build an improvised shelter to keep us dry and out of the wind. You'll find that the time spent near the bonfire provides a good opportunity for contemplation and leaving the civilised world behind for a few moments.
Season and availability:
Trips are run daily in the winter season - from December 15th to April 21st.
Meet outside the café called Tre Brør near the town square of Voss at 9.15 a.m. We meet and greet and go through our equipment and clothing. Afterwards we walk to the railway station and catch the 10 a.m. train to Skiple in Raundalen. The estimated travel time is 20 minutes.
We return to Voss by a local train departing Skiple at 4.10 p.m. We are happy to organize an alternative transportation back to Voss for you, if necessary.
For your safety and wellbeing, we provide the following equipment without added cost:
- Warm winter boots of high standard.
- Woolen clothing such as mittens, beanie, sweaters, head-over scarf and socks.
You are free to use your own clothes, as long as they are considered adequate by your guide.
This is a non-technical and family-friendly excursion. This trip is suitable for healthy people who would like to spend some time in peaceful, unspoilt nature. This trip takes you through woodland terrain, which means we are normally sheltered from strong winds and inclement weather. No prior hiking or skiing experience is required.
Clothing and equipment:
Please wear warm clothes on this trip, such as:
- Woolen thermals (long underwear).
- Warm woolen socks.
- Wind- and waterproof clothing (shell layer).
- Beanie or knit cap.
- Gloves or mittens.
- A small rucksack, sunglasses, a water bottle and a snack or a sandwich is also useful.
Included in the price:
- An experienced guide during your trip.
- A light meal of locally crafted food, including hot drinks – prepared on a bonfire.
- Snowshoes and ski poles.
- Warm boots.
- Unlimited access to warm clothing such as mittens, beanies, woolen sweaters, woolen socks.
- All necessary safety equipment.
- Train tickets.
Not included in the price:
Transport services other thain train transport. Other means of transportation can be arranged on request. Additional costs will apply.
Note on responsible travel and sustainability:
Wild Voss make a continuous effort in reducing the ecological impact of our trips and activities. We aim to follow the latest GSTC criteria for sustainable travel. As a participant on one of our trips, you should know the following:
- We follow the Leave No Trace principles.
- We make use of zero-emission infrastructure whenever possible.
- Our trips are on foot, skis or snowshoes, causing no emissions and limiting the impact on nature and eco systems.
- Our guide will share knowledge about local culture, sites we visit and local customs.
- We support responsible local businesses.
- Your guide will advocate low-impact travel and raise the participants’ awareness of local wildlife.
- We abide by laws and regulations concerning travel in free nature and cultural landscape.
- We seek to minimize waste, and choose products and packaging with long life spans.
Book now - choose start date and product
About this activity
Prices from1290 NOK Adult