The craftsman's hike - Wild VossAddress: Tvinde, 5710 Skulestadmo Date: Wednesday 7 aug 2019 - Sunday 15 Sep 2019 Show map
Address: Tvinde, 5710 Skulestadmo
Join on a hike to an old farm and learn about traditional craftsmanship!
Western Norway is famous for its strong and rich cultural traditions. Voss is where nature meets culture. This allows us to go on hikes where we get to enjoy both scenic nature and explore the cultural history.
In Voss, several craftsmen keep alive the local building traditions, craftsmanship and know-how, which often find their origin several centuries back in time. On the Craftsman’s hike, you will rediscover traditions that are an important and integral part of the Norwegian identity. Unfortunately, these traditions are now mostly forgotten due to lack of use and education.
Jean-Christophe is a carpenter, now specialised in traditional craftsmanship. He will take you to a traditional farm in a typical Western-Norwegian landscape There he will explain to you several aspects of the traditional building techniques, related to the local environment of the hike. You will learn about log houses, “grindbygg”, the use of hand tools (especially the axe), about tree felling, dry masonry, and more.
We will also talk about how traditional buildings function and how life was in such houses and barns, and compare it to the modern times.
The focus on this trip is culture and history. Still, you will find yourself in the midst of pristine nature as we walk through forests, over mountain streams and along fields (where we probably will meet some sheep and cows).
Do not hesitate to bring along many questions and we will look for the answers together!
Season and availability:
Daily from June 15 to September 15.
During the busiest weeks of summer, we might not have available guides every day. Please don’t hesitate to send us an email if it looks like the trip is unavailable online. We’ll try to find a solution for you.
Reasons to go:
This is a fairly easy hike in lovely, varied terrain. We enjoy a scenery of waterfalls, mixed forests and cultural landscape. We admire the waterfall of Tvindefossen from a panoramic position.
Learn about the traditional ways of living on a farm close bonds with nature, presented at the historic "Hustveit Gard". Get traditional craftsmanship demonstrated by our carpenter and guide, Jean-Christophe.
This is considered a non-technical, short and family-friendly hike. This trip is suitable for healthy people with some basic hiking experience. The trip follows a well-kept forest trail most of the way, with only a few rough sections.
- Sturdy hiking shoes.
- Waterproof clothing (shell layer).
- Small rucksack (20 litres).
- An extra t-shirt and/or an extra sweater.
- Some snacks.
- Trekking poles is a good idea.
Meeting point and practical details:
Meet at our guide's office on the first floor of Tre Brør Café near the town square at 10 a.m.
This trip corresponds well with the train departing Bergen at 8.39 a.m, arriving Voss at 9.53 a.m.
We catch a bus departing Voss City Hall at 10.10 a.m. The bus ride takes around 20 minutes.
We’ll be back at Voss around 4 p.m.
Prices and terms
The price for adults is NOK 1150 per person. The price for children aged 9-14 is NOK 650 per person. The minimum age is 9 years old.
1-12 participants. Groups of more than five earn a 20 % group discount.
Included in the price:
- An experienced, multilingual guide during your trip.
- A light meal of locally crafted food, including hot drinks.
- All necessary safety equipment.
- Transportation by public bus service to the starting point and back.
Not included in the price:
- Transportation to or from Voss.
A note on responsible travel and sustainability:
- Wild Voss make a continuous effort in reducing the ecological impact of our trips and activities. We aim to follow the latest GSTC criteria for sustainable travel. As a participant on one of our trips, you should know the following:
- We follow the Leave No Trace principles.
- We make use of zero-emission infrastructure whenever possible.
- Our trips are on foot, skis or snowshoes, causing no emissions and limiting the impact on nature and eco systems.
- Our guide will share knowledge about local culture, sites we visit and local customs.
- We support responsible local businesses.
- Your guide will advocate low-impact travel and raise the participants’ awareness of local wildlife.
- We abide by laws and regulations concerning travel in free nature and cultural landscape.
- We seek to minimize waste, and choose products and packaging with long life spans.
Book now - choose start date and product
About this activity
Prices from1150 NOK Adult